- Covington and Thankeston
- COVINGTON and THANKESTON, a parish, in the Upper ward of the county of Lanark, 4 miles (W. by N.) from Biggar; containing 523 inhabitants. Of these ancient parishes, which were united about the beginning of the 18th century, the former derives its name, anciently Colbanstoun, from its proprietor Colban, in the 12th century; and the latter, from a Flemish settler named Tankard or Thankard, who obtained a grant of lands here during the reign of Malcolm IV. The parish is about four miles in length, from south to north, and nearly three in average breadth, and is bounded on the east by the river Clyde, which separates it from the parish of Libberton. The number of acres is about 5500, of which nearly 2000 are arable, 80 acres woodland and plantations, and the remainder sheep pasture. The surface is varied, and the scenery in many parts of pleasing character. The soil along the banks of the Clyde is rich and fertile, and the lands occasionally subject to inundation; in the higher grounds are some portions of barren heath, but they generally afford good pasturage to numerous flocks of sheep. The system of agriculture is in an improved state; the chief crops are, oats, barley, peas, potatoes, and turnips. The lands have been much benefited by furrow-draining; considerable progress has been made in inclosing the several farms, and the farm-buildings and offices are in a very superior condition. The cattle are chiefly of the Angus breed, and the sheep of the black-faced kind. There is but little wood in the parish, and much improvement might be made, both in the appearance of the lands and in affording shelter, by a judicious increase of plantation. The Clyde abounds with trout and pike of considerable size. The villages of Covington and Thankeston are pleasantly situated, and at the latter is a bridge over the Clyde, which was erected by subscription, in 1778. The ecclesiastical affairs of the parish are under the superintendence of the presbytery of Biggar and synod of Lothian and Tweeddale. The minister's stipend is £208. 13. 7., with a manse, and a glebe valued at £17. 10.; patrons alternately, Sir Norman Lockhart, Bart., and Sir Windham Anstruther. The church of Thankeston has been suffered to fall into ruins, and that of Covington has been enlarged for the population of the whole parish. The parochial school is in the village of Covington; the master has a salary of £28, with a house and garden, and the fees average about £16 per annum.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Thankeston — THANKESTON, a village, in the parish of Covington and Thankeston, Upper ward of the county of Lanark, 1 mile (S. by W.) from Covington; containing 113 inhabitants. This village is pleasantly situated in the eastern part of the parish, and on… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland